• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Story trailer

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member

Looks like it could be interesting. The worst part about it at this point is EA and Origin.

What do you guys think?

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
As expected from this kind of budget, it seems like a good looking game and the trailer itself kicks the hell out of the Episode 9 trailer. The story is pretty much what I expected it to be...

...but that's the thing with story trailers... this isn't a movie, this is a video game. I want to see gameplay. That's what is going to make or break this game for a lot of people.

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
Agreed. If it turns out to be another The Force Unleashed in terms of gameplay, count me out. It won't matter how interesting the story might be. I'm kind of hoping it won't go down that road and that instead it will go in a direction closer to Jedi Outcast, for example. In any case, it's supposed to be out in November this year, so I expect we will be seeing some gameplay fairly soon.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
This is purely speculation on my part, but I'm hoping there is some level of "choose how much Force power you use to affect your outcome" kinda deal with the story. Like choosing to use your Force power to save that guy and get caught by the probe droid, or letting him fall to hide your true nature.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
I've been waiting for a proper Jedi game since two-thousand-goddamn-four. Please, let this be it 🙏

Story idea seems to have a lot of potential. In the old EU, there were stories based on this premise, and they often served a platform for a sort of analysis of Jedi and force-related philosophy. They also particularly often presented a really neat sense of getting 'lost' in the Star Wars galaxy, through the experience of the characters as they sought to become nobodies and just fit in. I hope this story will do something similar.

As with any game, it's all down to the writing. Let's hope it's good.

Agreed. If it turns out to be another The Force Unleashed in terms of gameplay, count me out. It won't matter how interesting the story might be. I'm kind of hoping it won't go down that road and that instead it will go in a direction closer to Jedi Outcast, for example. In any case, it's supposed to be out in November this year, so I expect we will be seeing some gameplay fairly soon.
A lot of people like TFU; I never really did. I found the writing to be atrocious and the gameplay so-so.

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
A lot of people like TFU; I never really did. I found the writing to be atrocious and the gameplay so-so.
Same here. Plus, I played the inexcusably buggy PC version. That didn't help.

To be fair, when it comes to Force powers, TFU had an interesting idea, it's just that everything else was godawful - from the lightsaber action to the story. And the horrible PC port. Did I mention how horrible the PC port was? For both TFU games? :D

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
So, the gameplay reveal happened:

Looks OK. A bit worse than Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy, but a lot better than The Force Unleashed. I think we all know the "Alpha gameplay" label at the start is pure BS, considering the game will be out in a few months.

Thoughts?

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
Gameplay doesn't look bad... kind of what I expected from this era of gaming... but it's too early to tell how it'll hold up since we're getting a pretty superficial look.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
Some nitpicks:
  • The animations seem a bit too 'game'-y for my liking
  • Lack of dismemberment is annoying
  • NPC script/event triggering seem slow. Reminds of old games lol. But it's not excusable for modern games imo
  • I always want proper power paradigms in SW media. Something logical, lore-conforming, and still engaging. The 'time-freezing/slowing' power seems a bit too powerful to me, both in general and for a supposed padawan to wield. The power should have just been left to Kylo Ren as a unique and exotic ability. It's too plot-hole-inducing to intelligently incorporate into existing lore
  • Graphics look pretty weak
Positives:
  • I like the droid
  • It's a Star Wars game
Overall: Honestly, it looks kind of... boring to me..

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
Welcome to everything lore related in this new "canon universe" since nothing is planned out very well at all.
To be fair, the old EU was guilty of this tenfold, what with starfleet-destroying Palpatine and black-hole-manipulating Luke, etc
The issue here though I suppose is that they scrapped the old EU ostensibly to avoid missteps like this. If they're just going to do it again, why throw away all that rich lore?

I haven't consumed the new canon beyond the eyebleaching that are the movies; and also Battlefront II's campaign. People keep telling me 3D The Clone Wars series is good, but I doubt it tbh.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
@jigos: The difference is that the old EU is guilty of it because there was never a plan in the first place and we're talking about years upon years of stories all packed on top of each other.

In contrast, the new canon universe fell apart months after it was made official.