• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

The worst game you have ever played

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
As the title suggests, let's share what we think is the worst game we've all played and why it is the worst out of everything you have played.

Let's start...

Metroid: Other M

I am a huge fan of the Metroid series with the atmosphere and exploration elements being the highlights. So, when Metroid: Other M was announced, I was ready to dive straight into it like every Metroid game before. Although, I did have my criticisms of Metroid Fusion before Other M came out due to its over-reliance on story, it was still a Metroidvania in its core.

Metroid: Other M, on the other hand, tore out everything that makes Metroid... Metroid.

It focused exclusively on the narrative and made the gameplay mind numbingly dull, but flashy! Basically, because Nintendo mandated that you HAD to use the Wii Remote on its side like a NES controller, the options were limited.

The D-Pad functioned a dual purpose, you moved Samus with it and you initiated auto dodge moves with it... and the windows on these dodges were HUGE. This meant that you could dodge ever single attack no problem, even on hard mode. All the way from the lowest of the low creatures to the bosses, dodge, then another button to counter, dodge, counter, dodge counter. Don't shoot... just dodge counter. The combat was broken.

If you know what a Metroidvania is, then you know it's a maze of corridors you need to explore, backtrack and re-explore once you find new items that will open up new areas to... explore and repeat the process. Metroid: Other M rips this entire concept out of the game and leaves you with a straight path where all the doors close behind you as you progress. Essentially, you go from one combat arena to the next. That's it... you don't explore anything, you just go forward.

Then there's the mechanics they tried to lift out of Metroid Prime... and they clearly did not understand what any of those mechanics did. The scanning in this game turns into a pixel hunt of absurd proportions where most of the time you don't even know what you're meant to be looking for. The game switches you into first person view and you're looking around for this object you're meant to scan. There is a really notorious moment where you have to do this that stumped most people. During one scanning scene you had to look for a patch of green blood on a green grass textured ground that blends in so well, you end up spending 20 minutes looking for what you're meant to be looking for!

Another of the things they tried to lift from Prime was the shooting mechanics in first person. Since the controls are so limited, to shoot missiles, you have to point the Wii Remote at the screen and do it that way, which ends up making missiles more of a utility than a combat weapon since it takes a very long time for you to switch views to actually use it. Not to mention the fact that the missile upgrade pickups are so easy to find in this game. Nothing is hidden, it's all basically just out in the open. Don't want to make the game too hard, right?

Then there's the health regeneration... yes, health regeneration. You point the Wii Remote up and make Samus concentrate REAL HARD and she'll regain a bar of health. Which, to be honest, isn't used all that much once you figure out you can dodge counter everything, but still... it's a horrible mechanic.

And finally... the story... the thing this game was based around completely. The thing that took priority, they abandoned everything that made a Metroid game great for this. It's horrible, the worst.

Gratuitous tits and ass shots aside (seriously, when I think Samus, I think of her Varia suit, not her Zero suit... too much Zero suit in this game), Samus is treated like a vapid teen girl with daddy issues writing in her diary throughout the entire game and acts like it with her decisions as well.

Essentially, at this point in the story, she's meant to be an experienced hunter, but the game treats her like a rookie who has no idea what she's doing. It would have made more sense if this game was set before the events of Zero Mission, but nope, we have to character assassinate her as much as possible.

The crux of the problem with the story is that Yoshio Sakamoto has a waifu boner for Samus, hence why she has daddy issues in this game and does everything Adam Malkovich tells her to do, even when it threatens her life. I won't rant on too much about the story because it's that bad, but all you really need to know is that there are plot points that are dropped and never fully explored. There are lots of decisions people make that don't make sense, especially the ones Samus makes... and Samus gets shot in the back once and loses her suit for no reason aside from because the story said a thing needed to happen.

Whatever "cool" action moment happened in the game was drowned out by how inane the story was, the primary hook of the entire game and it failed miserably.

So is there anything good about this game? No, it's a Metroid game in name and overall theme only, everything else about it was torn out to make it more accessible to a new audience.

And seriously, I'm not even exaggerating any of this. When I say you can dodge counter everything, I mean it! When I say you are running in a straight line that leads from one arena to the next with all the doors locking shut behind you, that's exactly what the game does! When I say that Samus sounds like a teen girl with daddy issues... that's what the Samus in this game sounds like.

Metroid: Other M? Worst. Game. I. Have. Ever. Played.