• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

Forums Forum launch bug hunt and improvements

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
Hey and thanks for everyone who has joined up so far.

These are early days, in fact, as I type this, it's the first day of these new community forums, and as such, there are a lot of bugs to be hunted down and vanquished.

To that end, I would ask that if you find any bugs, let me know about them asap and provide me with screenshots if you're able. You can either reply to this thread or contact me on discord. Any help is appreciated since I couldn't realistically test a lot of stuff until the forum went live.

In the meantime, I have managed to take down a few bugs in the last few hours, which is a start.

The other important thing we need to do is make improvements the forum (yes already!) to make it much easier to use for all.

My first task, now that the forum is online, is to make the forum menu bar more noticeable and better look, especially the "Alerts" button which should grab your attention as soon as you get an alert.

Don't worry, none of this will be disruptive, I'll test out the changes I make on a "developer theme" and then apply the changes when they've been completed.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
UPDATE:

Added a large feature image to the forum.
If you want to disable it, go to change your Account details, click on "Preferences" and then click "Disable" next to the "Disable featured header image" heading.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
INFORMATION:

It's going to take me a little bit to figure out, but I'm going to try make it so that the large header image only appears when you're on the forum home page with a compact version appearing on all other pages.

I have also added the ability to disable the header image when people register to join the forum.

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
Hey Lynk! So far I haven't really run into bugs per se, but I have experienced fairly frequent loading issues with the forum since I registered. Not sure what could be the cause (hosting or something else), but for example, going to my account information page and trying to move between the different sections (Account details, Password and security...) often results in the page simply not loading up. I've also experienced this issue when trying to load up different forum sections or topics, whether it was in the same tab, or a new tab made no difference. Refreshing the page sometimes helped, but not always.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
Just so we can eliminate anything that may be on your end, clear your browser cache and see if that helps.

If this has been happening to you within the last two or three hours or so, it may be because I was editing the template which was making the site having to reload its data cache over and over. I've since completed that work, so maybe that improves things.

However, if it keeps happening and it's happening to others, I'll see what I can do about optimising the forum.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
INFORMATION:

I'm going to try to implement a randomised header image that will show anime, gaming and other things each time a page is loaded.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
UPDATE:

I've fixed the problem with the transparent PNG avatars. They function correctly now.

Also, I tried the whole randomised image thing and it didn't work. It's a feature I'll try to implement in the future, but for now, it seems like something that is too time consuming to attempt.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
INFORMATION:

In order to get more activity in here, I'm thinking of reintroducing a feature I had when this site was called "TwilightLynk" back in the day...

I'm talking about the site/forum bridge, where the forum became the commenting system for the website and threads were posted on the forum for each new entry posted on the site.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
@Lynk Former
It worked! 🙌🙌🎉

[edit]
For anyone reading, I had to update the smartphone browser I was using (Chrome) and then delete and recreate all the site settings for lynkformer.com - including enabling notifications
[/edit]

Last edited: