• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

Food from your part of the world

Kyuu

Catfish
I'm making this thread because of a conversation with @jigos on Discord.

Basically, is there any food around where you live that you'd like to share with everyone here?

I'll start with this:

I'm from an archipelago in southeast Asia and our more commonly known local food is "adobo". Lesser known outside of the country is the food pictured above: sinigang. It is a mix of vegetables and meat in a sour, clear soup.
  • The sourness of the soup itself is different depending on what is used: most common is sampaloc (tamarind); we can also use vinegar, green mangoes, kamias (idk what that is in English), even watermelon rinds (the white part of a local watermelon is sour).
  • The soup can be thickened using gabi (taro) or miso (soybean paste).
  • The vegetables are usually greens such as string beans, kangkong (water spinach), different kinds of cabbage and some kinds of lettuce, okra and the like. Personally, I love putting labanos (horse radish) in my sinigang.
  • The meat part is commonly pork, but it doesn't have to be. Seafood such as white-fleshed fish, shrimp and crabs can be used (I recently made sinigang na alimango sa sampalok/crabs in tamarind sinigang) Chicken and beef are rarely used because they don't go very well with the sourness. Meat can also be omitted entirely if you want a vegan dish.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
New Zealand, where I am, does not have much in the way of unique foods, at all.

There's the Maori Hangi, which is a method of cooking involving steaming food in an underground oven, which imbues the food with a particular earthy flavor-undertone. But afaik other Polynesian cultures also have something similar.

The rest of New Zealand 'cuisine' is just British/settler food.

There is a national dessert called Pavlova, which is a miringue-and-cream based sort of cake, but the Aussies, (being Aussies) have stolen claim to it and call it theirs.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
Whaaaa they actually have New Zealand on there.. and there are a whole bunch of restaurants!
I've seen one of the mentioned places too. I think I'll go there when I'm nearby next

What kind of an effort it must have been to put this list together, with such uniform and populated detail. I wonder how they managed it!