• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

"Joker" new trailer

IG-64

LFN Veteran
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc

It looks good as a movie but I'm still opposed to the idea of giving joker some kind of tragic backstory. I didn't like the Killing Joke for the same reason. Doing so does add depth to a lot of villains (Kingpin for example) but I think Joker is more effective as a character when he's just a crazy asshole. I really enjoyed how Nolan's Joker turned the "tragic backstory" into another joke with the different explanations for his scars.

I like Joaquin Phoenix and it looks like a good role for him but it also looks like it just as easily could've been its own thing not connected to Batman.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
There's a lot of shades of The Killing Joke in there and I really hope this turns out to be good. I'm going to wait and see though... I just hope that I'm not too fatigued of comic book movies by the time I do see it.

As for the Joker having a tragic backstory... it can still be ambiguous in that it could employ an unreliable narrator to tell a story that has some truth to it, but has been skewed so much that you don't really know what actually happened.

IG-64

LFN Veteran
Lynk Former said:
it can still be ambiguous in that it could employ an unreliable narrator to tell a story that has some truth to it, but has been skewed so much that you don't really know what actually happened.
That would be very difficult to pull off and I think is something that would really only work if the Joker wasn't the main character and central focus of the movie. I didn't really get the impression they're going that route from the trailer, but we'll see.

Bob Lion54

Junior Malkavian Detective
Forum Moderator
... it can still be ambiguous in that it could employ an unreliable narrator to tell a story that has some truth to it, but has been skewed so much that you don't really know what actually happened.
I think it would work if we, as the audience, could see it played straight but with commentary from The Joker that doesn't fit what just happened. But really, there's a lot of ways to do it that could work.

The movie does look interesting, but the Joker is supposed to me a mystery. It feels like they're giving too much insight into how he became The Joker. We're not supposed to know.

Bleh... I donno, I still enjoy comic movies, but these offshoots have got a bit out of hand. Especially the villain ones. I mean, we're not supposed to root for the villain, but you kind of have to make the protagonist sympathetic or the audience won't care and then you end up with an anti-hero instead of a villain, kind of like with Suicide Squad or Venom.

And Harley Quinn, in some stories, actually does become an anti-hero and rejects the Joker. She became so popular, they made her a good guy. Venom, too, becomes an anti-hero later on, but The Joker is... well, THE JOKER!

Even if it's well done, you can't turn the Joker into Tony Soprano and it still be the Joker.

Kyuu

Catfish
As a thumbnail, I wasn't interested in it. As a trailer for a movie, I am still not interested in it. Without the "Joker" character, it's another tragic dude drama thing- a genre that I don't care to watch.

As for this version of Joker, all I can say is that I find tragic villains boring. Perhaps because I grew up watching shows wherein the villain always has his struggles that somehow, in his warped mind, justify destroying and killing others. So to me, a villain who will just do what he wants without apology, without excuses, and keeps on doing sh!t despite the consequences because it amuses him or somesuch is more entertaining.

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
Saw the trailer last night. Looks interesting. Of course, it's just a trailer and in the end things could go horribly wrong with this movie, but so far I'm definitely interested as long as they don't make the same mistake they made with Suicide Squad and turn the villainous protagonist into a full blown hero.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
I know it's not, but theoretically, if this was an intentionally misleading trailer, that'd be awesome.

Rebel

C3F Member
DC's strength has always been in its villains, but I've never been a fan of the Joker, and as far as tragic backstories go, there are better villains to pick from IMO.

Still, DC's gotta do something. Maybe villain movies will be it.