• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

Avengers: Endgame [spoilers]

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina

Predictions:
  • Movie is going to cross $2 billion
  • Phenomenon-climax may herald beginning of decline of superhero-movie-era
  • Cap is going to die and Marvel is going to take his place as boss.

Last edited:

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
I have no idea what to expect from this movie... so I'm just going to make random predictions.

• Iron Man dies
  • Captain America goes back in time
  • Captain Marvel defeats Thanos
  • Thor peaces out on his own into the galaxy

Hawkeye

Spammer Hitman
Forum Moderator
I've got Friday free from work, so I'm going to the local Empire Cinema and enjoy it

Kyuu

Catfish
I have no idea what to expect from this movie... so I'm just going to make random predictions.

• Iron Man dies
3 out of 4 is correct.

jigos

Ahto Spaceport Cantina
Just saw the movie

Very sad to see Black Widow go – her character was criminally wasted through the entire series imo, and I don’t feel like she got enough of a sendoff here. And how exactly did that plot-device work? The Soul Stone requires a sacrifice by a hypothetical receiver of the Stone (a subject), of a thing that they love the most (an object). Both Black Widow and Hawkeye did not perform this act: Both of their ‘most-loved thing’ would have been each other – with both representing the Avengers ‘family’ to each other. But both scrambled to sacrifice their own lives – which was neither of their most-loved-things, and further would have defied the subject-object syntax. So how did their execution of this mechanic succeed?

I liked seeing a corrected screenplay for Thor. After Taika Waititi’s Ragnarok, it was extremely jarring to see The Russo’s Thor in Infinity War, who’s demeanor was so damn different. They tried to do Waititi-style humor in IW but failed miserably. They fixed that here (and, so bloody good to see Korg!) But, they went too far here imo and made Thor too much of a bumbling fool. His goofiness in Asgard is just incongruent as fuck with the character. He’s 1,500 years old – to have such a drastic and fundamental change in personality, after 5 years (on top of the existing character development over the previous movies), strains the suspension of disbelief. And the contrast of Thor-Guardians interaction between IW and EG is just glaring and terrible.

Also, why did the greedy bastard steal his other-timeline-self’s Mjolnir, when he had Stormbreaker as well?

I found the Bruce/Hulk plot-point to be a bit too handwaved. The character appears to supposed to be as some sort of synthesis between Banner and Hulk – but it was just all Banner. Why after years of sulking, would Hulk just let himself be back-seated – while giving Banner his power, no less. It makes no sense.

In general, for all the main characters, I feel the grimdark brooding unintuitive-unwillingness-to-help schtick was overdone. It makes little sense. After failing, basically every one of the team would have been rearing to get another shot at fixing things – no matter how rough the past 5 years would have been.

I found the state of humanity after 5 years to be a bit off in portrayal. 50% of the people died; but the way they made it look, it was as if 90% of them died. Infrastructure and governance would have been in much better shape after 5 years imo. But, this is the kind of complex writing that’s often out of the scope of stories like this, and too much to expect I suppose.

I really enjoyed seeing The Ancient One in this movie. The character interaction/writing for her was really on-point.

I note that the Avengers made quick work of Thanos near the beginning of the movie. I had just happened to see IW the day before, and noticed something while watching it: the entire fight with him on Titan could have been dusted in 3 seconds: All that was needed to be done was for Strange to open and close a portal around Thanos’ head. Done. And in the final battel of Endgame, the same feat could have been performed by any one of the sorcerers of the Mystic Arts.
Plot-armor nerfing is annoying. And this series isn’t exactly guiltless of this at all, with probably the worst example being Hulk’s defeat to Thanos in IW.. that was maddeningly dumb. You’d expect with billions of dollars now in production budget, they could afford to have some smart people sit down and think some better things up.

Thor’s dual-wielding in the final battle, along with Cap’s usage of Mjolnir, should have been made much more of a spectacle IMO.

The 'Female Force' shot was cringe af.

I love the Wakandan Army in the MCU.
Their war chants are awesome.

I found it a bit dumb that the team only sent back Cap to return the Stones at the end. The fate of entire realities depended on the success of that mission; sending more heroes to ensure the task is the only logical thing to do.

I really like Cap’s send-off though. It was a great idea and done really well. It’s a great adventure that leaves it all to your imagination. Seeing old Cap made me feel some kind of ways – imo he was always the best of the Avengers; it’s so good to see him finally get the happy ending he deserved.

I was, and still am confused by the time-traveling mechanics in this movie. I'll have to watch it again or look into lore/analysis.

My overall opinion of the movie is that I found it a bit drab, tbh. Infinity War was better imo, because it spent more time building moments up and executing them. Endgame was full of gravituous moments that were just shown with little build-up. There weren't really any significant twists either. Honestly, overall it feels a little anticlimactic after a 10-year event.

I feel almost relieved that there was no mid or post-credits scene. I’ve actually not experienced superhero-movie-fatigue as a lot of people have, but I feel a little of it now after the subjective letdown that Endgame was for me. Now is a very good point to clock out of the franchise, if one were so inclined.

That said, perhaps my favourite MCU movies were Thor: Ragnarok and Dr. Strange; I would be interested in seeing sequels to those (but only if any Thor movies are directed by Taika Waititi).

• Iron Man dies
...how tf... o__O

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Spammer Hitman
Forum Moderator

• Iron Man dies

Lynk..... What the lotto numbers for next week Euro millions

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
@Hawkeye I still haven't seen it yet lol. I live so far away from any cinema that it's hard to actually make an excuse to go see it unless someone else makes the plans and we all go as a big group.

Hawkeye

Spammer Hitman
Forum Moderator
I just need to numbers man, your lucks in....
If I win it big, I'll build you your own personel cinema

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
Saw the movie back on Wednesday. If I could describe it with one word it would be: boring. But I can't, because that would give it too much credit - it was boring as fuck and had more (plot) holes than Swiss cheese. Not even going to go into the cringey moments, see jigos' post above for some of those, as well as some of the plot holes. If this were truly the end, I would say I'm glad it's finally over, but we all know it ain't. Not even close.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
I still haven't seen it... thinking maybe ending it at Infinity War was a good idea on my part.

Thanos wins.

Leon-McNichol

ADP Commander
It's great but have to warn you , you will cry like a bitch at the end, no working around you *will* have to endure and work past the pain.