• Welcome to C3F!

As a guest, you have limited access to the forum, but if you join C3F today, you'll receive a free moo cow delivered straight to your home*.

* While supplies last! Moo cows can only be delivered to permanent residents of Earth. Only ONE (1) moo cow per person.

Suggest a videogame for penniless plebes

Kyuu

Catfish
I teach the artistic side of game development at a state university. Most of our students are either genuinely poor or stingy. Not much to our surprise, they know mostly F2P mobile games only (´;ω;`)

I have already given them a few video game titles to check out to expand their knowledge, but if you could list a few more titles, that would be great.

I need PC or console games that are free or have a free demo. And to a lesser extent, F2P mobile games that have a solid story and combat aside from spamming the Skip and Attack buttons.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
Frog Fractions

You probably think I'm joking, but I'm really not. Seriously, if you haven't played this game... play it... AND DON'T STOP PLAYING, just keep going.

It is an excellent example of unorthodox game design in action.

IG-64

LFN Veteran
Not sure if this helps but The Witness will be free for the next 2 weeks on the Epic Games store

igyman

Lifelong LFN Member
OK, on Steam, I would say check out (in no particular order):
Doki Doki Literature Club
Warframe
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit

On GOG, I would recommend Gwent.

And as for mobile, the only game I play on my phone is Fate/Grand Order. (I've become a pretty big fan of the Fate universe thanks to the Fate/Zero anime, but that's probably a discussion for the Anime section)

BongoBob

LFN Veteran
The Epic Games Store has had freebie games on an every two week rotation for a bit now, and they've had some real bangers on there. I would highly suggest everyone take a look at that and take advantage of it. (I also don't get the severe hate for the EGS. So you have to click a different shortcut on your desktop before clicking what game you want to play, whoopty fuckin do).

I will also second Frog Fractions. That game is definitely an experience.

Apex Legends is the most enjoyable of the Battle Royale games I've played by far, and is totally free, and from a design standpoint does some extremely smart things.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
(I also don't get the severe hate for the EGS. So you have to click a different shortcut on your desktop before clicking what game you want to play, whoopty fuckin do).
I would rather try to minimise things on my PC that can sift through things I don't want it to sift through. Epic Games has no right to sift through my Steam data.

I also don't like the PC market being segregated via exclusivity deals. If I wanted to deal with platform exclusives, I'd go back to playing on consoles. In another thread we talked about the importance of accessibility... seems to me Epic Games is making things less accessible.

swphreak

C3F Member
F2P games I've played:
  • Warframe
  • MechWarrior Online
  • World of Warships (there are other games by the same people, but I've not tried them)
MMO's with "free" tiers:
  • EVE Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • Star Wars The Old Republic

Bob Lion54

Junior Malkavian Detective
Forum Moderator
Another free game would be Fallout Shelter, based on the Fallout franchise. It's a mobile game but it's been ported to consoles. I have it on the Switch and it's pretty addicting.

I'm not sure if that's the type of game you're looking for, but it is free and pretty fun.

Other than that, most MMOs are free these days, but dangle goodies to buy in front of you, though I know other people have mentioned that.

Lynk Former

Shameless...
Administrator
Oh yeah... Dong Dong Never Die would be another one that is pretty interesting.

It's very amateurish, but it's a pretty interesting fighting game that has a bit of a secret to it.

m4v

C3F Member
The original StarCraft is free at Battlenet, isn't? I think StarCraft 2 multiplayer is also free.

Factorio has a free demo.